VIOLENCE AND INCITEMENT
We aim to prevent potential offline harm that may be related to content on Facebook. While we understand that people commonly express disdain or disagreement by threatening or calling for violence in non-serious ways, we remove language that incites or facilitates serious violence. We remove content, disable accounts and work with law enforcement when we believe there is a genuine risk of physical harm or direct threats to public safety. We also try to consider the language and context in order to distinguish casual statements from content that constitutes a credible threat to public or personal safety. In determining whether a threat is credible, we may also consider additional information like a person’s public visibility and the risks to their physical safety.
In some cases, we see aspirational or conditional threats directed at terrorists and other violent actors (e.g. “Terrorists deserve to be killed”), and we deem those non-credible, absent specific evidence to the contrary.
Threats that could lead to death (and other forms of high-severity violence) targeting people or places where threat is defined as any of the following:
- Statements of intent to commit high-severity violence. This includes content where a symbol represents the target and/or includes a visual of an armament or method to represent violence.
- Calls for high-severity violence including content where no target is specified but a symbol represents the target and/or includes a visual of an armament or method that represents violence.
- Statements advocating for high-severity violence.
- Aspirational or conditional statements to commit high-severity violence.
Content that asks or offers services for hire to kill others (for example, hitmen, mercenaries, assassins) or advocates for the use of a hitman, mercenary or assassin against a target
Admissions, statements of intent or advocacy, calls to action, or aspirational or conditional statements to kidnap or abduct a target or that promotes, supports or advocates for kidnapping or abduction
Content that depicts kidnappings or abductions if it is clear the content is not being shared by a victim or their family as a plea for help, or shared for informational, condemnation or awareness raising purposes
Threats of high-severity violence using digitally-produced or altered imagery to target living people with armaments, methods of violence or dismemberment
Threats that lead to serious injury (mid-severity violence) toward private individuals, unnamed specified persons, minor public figures, high-risk persons or high-risk groups where threat is defined as any of the following:
- Statements of intent to commit violence, or
- Statements advocating violence, or
- Calls for mid-severity violence including content where no target is specified but a symbol represents the target, or
- Aspirational or conditional statements to commit violence, or
- Content about other target(s) apart from private individuals, minor public figures, high-risk persons or high-risk groups and any credible:
- Statements of intent to commit violence, or
- Calls for action of violence, or
- Statements advocating for violence, or
- Aspirational or conditional statements to commit violence
Threats that lead to physical harm (or other forms of lower-severity violence) towards private individuals (self-reporting required) or minor public figures where threat is defined as any of the following:
- Private individuals (name and/or face match are required) or minor public figures that includes:
- Statements of intent, calls for action, advocating, aspirational or conditional statements to commit low-severity violence
Any content created for the express purpose of outing an individual as a member of a designated and recognisable at-risk group
Instructions on how to make or use weapons if there is evidence of a goal to seriously injure or kill people through:
- Language explicitly stating that goal, or
- Photos or videos that show or simulate the end result (serious injury or death) as part of the instruction.
- Unless the aforementioned content is shared as part of recreational self defense, for military training purposes, commercial video games, or news coverage (posted by a Page or with a news logo).
Providing instructions on how to make or use explosives, unless there is clear context that the content is for a non-violent purpose (for example, part of commercial video games, clear scientific/educational purpose, fireworks or specifically for fishing)
Any content containing statements of intent, calls for action, conditional or aspirational statements, or advocating for violence due to voting, voter registration or the administration or outcome of an election
Statements of intent or advocacy, calls to action, or aspirational or conditional statements to bring weapons to locations, including but not limited to places of worship, educational facilities, polling places or locations used to count votes or administer an election (or encouraging others to do the same).