Reducing the spread of false news on Facebook is a responsibility that we take seriously. We also recognize that this is a challenging and sensitive issue. We want to help people stay informed without stifling productive public discourse. There is also a fine line between false news and satire or opinion.
For these reasons, we do not remove false news from Facebook but we significantly reduce its distribution by showing it lower in News Feed. Learn more about our work to reduce the spread of false news here and here.
We are working to build a more informed community and reduce the spread of false news in a number of different ways, namely by:
- Disrupting economic incentives for people, Pages, and domains that propagate misinformation.
- Using various signals, including feedback from our community, to inform a machine learning model that predicts which stories may be false.
- Reducing the distribution of content rated false by independent fact-checkers.
- Empowering people to decide for themselves what to read, trust or share by informing them with more context and promoting news literacy.
- Collaborating with academics and other organizations to help solve this challenging issue.